Sunday, February 6, 2011

Red Beans and Rice With a Side of Contentment

I know you must have been anxious to hear. So be still hearts. Red beans and rice was the winning recipe for this week. And I am not disappointed! It is my mom's recipe and it has a great New Orleans flare. It simmered for about TWENTY TWO HOURS. You read that right. Slow and low makes for yummmmmm.

Today I have been thinking about contentment. Isn't it typical of that crazy human nature to always be wanting what is ahead or what is not today or what looks desirable in someone else's life? We have this tendancy to quietly convince ourselves that when X happens, the relief/happiness/joy will come. Some of us consciously dwell on that thought and others find it in the traces of our deepest thoughts.

This month, my best friend and favorite person is on the road... a lot. Like a lot more than he will be home. I miss him. And a part of me would like to start throwing a royal pity party on my own behalf! But, thanks be to God (seriously!), He doesn't allow me to go there for very long.

A lot of us long to be married and could be tempted to wish away the days to that wedding day. A lot of us long for better jobs or more money. A lot of us dream of shedding 10, 30, 50 pounds. The list could go on and on couldn't it?

We have all had hearts desires met. And it IS always sweet. However - you and I both know that a met heart's desire does not solve problems. Only God can reach deep and satisfy the truest hungers of our souls.

Dreams are a good thing. I firmly believe in dreams. But today, I am reminded that God is the joy of my heart - no matter my circumstance. No matter how long I have waited for something, or am still waiting for it, or do or do not like today's circumstances.

So join me in resolving that today will not be a day of sorrow. It will not be a day of lusting for tomorrow. It will not be a day of discrediting what He is doing today.

Philippians 4:11-13 "...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

2 comments:

  1. I loved this...such a good reminder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff Abbie! It really makes you think. How can I make certain I am content and believe me, I look at my family and realize I have a lot to be happy about.

    ReplyDelete