Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A New Goal and a Question

I hope that you are about to start or are already having a spectacular day. I love the word spectacular simply because of how special it sounds! But,I thought that I'd just quickly look up the official meaning for kicks. As an adjective, it means striking or sensational. So yes - I feel affirmed in my use of the word to wish you a spectacular day. Go forth and take in the spectacular!

A small note - the risotto I have mentioned in two blog posts before? Make it. Don't hesitate. I was a little concerned about getting the process right but the receipe ended up being dead on with no surprises. And it was a luxurious kind of yum. :)

So - this new goal that I mention in the title! Well, this year I have set out to memorize more of the Word of God. In all honesty - I am still trying to believe that I can and WILL do it! I had the desire in my heart and then remembered that Beth Moore's blog had a (large) group of women who post the verse they are memorizing twice a month for accountability. At the beginning - I had a lofty goal of one verse a month. And I was seriously proud of that lol! But this twice a month thing challenged me and so far - I am hanging in there. Get this - on the last blog post for Beth's verse challenge, over 7,500 women posted their verses they were memorizing. IS THAT NOT INSPIRING??

So my last verse was Psalm 28:7 "The Lord is my strength and my shield. My heart trusts in him and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him."

Picking verses has been a little challenging. Honestly - I am going for bang for my buck. I need it to be short but power packed. :)

I have decided that I will also post here twice a month with my verses. Why not up the ante a bit and increase the accountability? All I can say is that I will be honest in the process!

Today, the verse I have decided to focus on for the next two weeks is:

Isaiah 30:18 "For the Lord longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him!"

BAM! TRUTH! He longs to be gracious to me and to you and He WILL rise up to show me compassion. I am blessed for waiting on him and so are you - my handful of readers.

So question - what have been some helpful tips when you have gone to memorize? Also, I am thinking of googling 'GOOD SHORT verses to memorize.' LOL. Surely someone out there has come up with a list! Maybe a list of verses appropriate for kids to memorize?? Me and the kids. Not ashamed!

Have a spectacular day friends.

3 comments:

  1. I love your new goal! That's something I've always wanted to do, too. I put a post-it note with the verse by my computer and read it every day for a week or so. That helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my favorite shorties ;)

    “I cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me.” -Ps. 57:2

    “Then the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.” – Mark 15:38

    You'll be surprised when ones you memorized a long time ago come back to you like bolts of lightning.
    “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” – Gal. 2:20

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written and well directed. I am hanging on to the word spectacular. Love it! As for memorization tips I find word association can help a lot. I still remember from childhood "Matthew barfed and puked on John" which helped me to get the gospels down. Then my Dad's "Great Electric Power Company" to get the often reversed Pauline epistles down: Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians and Colossians. I am sure you will find a spectacular way to memorize your verses!

    ReplyDelete