Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The Question We Can All Ask

How's your day going??

I'll tell ya, I had no vision of sitting and writing this afternoon.  I am frankly on day five of a child with the flu, restless within the walls of this house, not looking cute or clean, and tempted to eat my way through anything chocolate available to me: Nutella hot chocolate, Ghirardelli chocolate chips by the handful, my husband's French Silk birthday pie in the fridge, the kids leftover Valentine's chocolates, oh the damage I am tempted to do when I'm in Nurse Mommy mode for more than 24 hours.  

But, out of nowhere, my heart burns for you today.  My theology is forming to re-articulate that as His heart is burning for you today.  

Wherever we are, whatever we are doing, let us stop.  

Stop the thoughts.  Stop the distractions.  Stop the mental to-doing.  Stop the voice of fear.  Stop the self-obsessed thoughts.  Stop it all for a moment.

And know this: 

You can have more.

More of what? Things? Power? Achievement? Approval? Acceptance?

Maybe.  No.  Yes.  

You can have more of the Living God.  

And, I don't think that there's much more to life than that when all is stripped away.  So many of us nod in our hearts - echoing agreement.  But, if that is true, then each of us should be stopped right where we are with the earth shattering reality of it.  

Pretend you haven't heard truth all your life.  Pretend this is the lightbulb moment, and you are hearing and believing for the first time ever that this is truth.  He is alive, He is at work and He is near and you can dive deep into life in Christ.  

But then, maybe this is the first time that the possibility of that feels real.  I wish I could look you straight in the eyes right now and tell you with every bit of energy that I have that you aren't crazy and this is real.

I don't care if you've been around the block one million times.  I don't care if you've sauntered around the block three quarters of one full time.  I don't care if you've only ever watched as others circled the darn block.  We can have more of the Living God.  

And how do we do that???

We ask Him.  

And that is the first step towards belief - to believe even enough to ask.  It sounds so simple and so inane.  And it sounds like something we all do, all of the time.  But when was the last time you were alone in a room and you said out loud, with your own voice, 'God, I want more of you.' 

The moment of vulnerability for many of us is His reply.  Will He give a lofty theological answer? Will we feel anything? Is He distant? Will everyone but me experience something?  Or worse - will it be silent?

I don't know what you'll feel.  I don't know where you've been.  I don't know your story.  But I am confident in what His heart is towards you.  Confident.  

This is the truth:

  • He longs to be known.  He aches to share Himself with you.  He wants you to know Him.
    • Jeremiah 9:24 "but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.”
  • He loves you. 
    • Romans 8:37-39 "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
He wants you to know Him.  If you already know Him, He wants you to know more of Him.  He longs for it.  

What if it's true? There's more.  

Message me on facebook if this resonates with you. 

Always,

Honest Abi

No comments:

Post a Comment