Thursday, June 11, 2015

Hello Summer, Goodbye Blog

Or something like that. Happy Blog Friday y'all!

I tell you what, my heart has been churning over the past month.  So to you, my precious friend taking his or her time to read this, I wanted to share a little update.  Big, earth-shattering news.  Ha!  (wink, wink)

I'm going to take the summer off from writing weekly blog posts.  And, ya know, weekly is an awfully generous word for what it really has been over the past few months!  But, many weeks, I've hit a wall when I sat down to write and that got me to pondering.  And listening.  My first reaction was, well shoot.  Guess it's time to stop blogging....I got nothin'.  But that thought left me more distraught than trying to work through and come up with words.  So I started pushing further and asking more about why that wall seemed to meet me every week.

The answer?  There are lots of reasons.  Naturally!  But, mostly I need more.  I want more.  I feel desperate for more vision, more focus, and more direction in writing.  Although this blog is basically something that my friends read, I am deeply honored that anyone would spend their time reading my words.  Bloggers are a dime a dozen!  You could spend hours reading blogs!  And that you choose to read this, blows me away. So, in some ways, I feel protective of your time.  I want my words to be life-giving and entertaining, but I also want them to carry some bit of content that will make a difference for you after reading. And that some 'bit of content' part is the one that hangs me up.

If I move forward with blogging, I want to do so with more intention and more vision.  And I honestly believe that it's there to be had but it deserves some set aside time to pursue.  For reals, when I get a blog post up it is barely up and there is little time or space for pre-thought, editing, or thinking much about writing in any other manner.  It's my season as a mom of little boys and I wouldn't trade it.  I would not trade it for anything, and yet I still feel my heart being prodded to take steps towards a dream: being a writer/speaker.  And not to take steps when my boys are in school or fully raised, but right now.  And that's straight up messy!  So, I've come to the conclusion that it's just not realistic for me to maintain a commitment to write weekly, and to create the time and space necessary to press into more vision/focus for writing/blogging.

I really love the back and forth that I feel with you when I blog.  I genuinely feel it and your gift of time to read my words is treasured.

Bottom line, I want to blog and I want to write and I think that God is in that.  But, I want to take some time to make sure on that last part.  Because if He isn't, then, well, then I think I may be in deep doo doo.  :) Just made myself laugh out loud.  Deep doo doo is funny!  I have appreciated the encouraging feedback so many of you have offered but just want to take some time to pause and lay it down and listen.

So, maybe I'll show up and blog a little here and there or maybe I'll go totally silent.  But, if I may be so bold, would you pray for me this summer?  I'm at a point where I don't need any more great ideas, I just want to make sure that they are His ideas.  Seriously, if you get anything for me as you think of me, please please please feel free to reach out and share it with me.  I'll have my notebook ready to jot down your thoughts :).

Thank you for your time, my friend.  Whether or not we know each other well, you are my friend and your time is a great gift.

SO!  Happy weekending y'all!  Happy summering y'all!

Hope to catch up with you again in September.....but for now much love,
Abi

No comments:

Post a Comment