Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Hearing Cleanse

Hi there!

I hope your week has been a good one so far! Mine has been good! Hopefully this will be a short post because I have one simple thought to type away about today.

Remember the song from our childhood with the lyric, 'Be careful little ears what you hear?' Well - isn't that a doozy of a lyric? Because at 31, I've just realized that I need to be guarding my ears a little more.

In my case, I need to guard my ears from internalizing little things that are said to me by people who have no intention of stirring me up!

Let's get to the nitty gritty: the examples. :)

Case and point number one was said to me last week: "My experience has been totally different than your's. I have absolutely love being a stay at home mom and the transition has been wonderful. I feel so fulfilled."

Case and point number two was said to me this week: "So tell me what you do with your time (implied - now that you're a stay at home mom)."

Merciful heavens. Two simple little statements said without wrong intention. But I must say, both statements have swam in my thoughts since they were said. They both come back again and again. And with them come how I WISH I would have responded lol. To the first, I just quietly said that I am doing well now and love being a mom. To the second, I rambled through some list of things that I do, feeling internally confused but not quite sure why. The truth is that both responses were fine in the moment and probably didn't need to be added to.

But those sentences have haunted my thoughts as teeny tiny accusations. Little voices saying asking me what was wrong with me and what do I really do with my time?

I know you can relate my friend! I know it!

But in this moment my heart is light because truth is what bring freedom. And the truth will set me free. The truth is that people say things without thinking so often that we can't keep count. And we say things without thinking just as often. Mercy!

So - here's what I think the Lord is showing me about appropriate responses to statements that cause me to get worked up: As soon as I realize there is a cause and effect and my soul is stirring, I need to get at least five minutes with the Lord to specifically deal with it. For me, I write the statement down because I'm so visual. Then, I ask God to speak his truth to my heart in response. Then I ask Him for His grace to receive the truth. And move on!

Easier said than done! But I just wanted to put it out there that I'm realizing I need to guard my ears and quickly respond to soul stirring statements WITH the Lord...not just keep letting them run and run and run through my subconscious.

Much love to you,
Abi

3 comments:

  1. Yup. Tuke 2 Cor 10:5 under your belt and use it whenever necessary. 5

    "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

    After being at home as a SAHM it was the very first time I truly understood the FACT that every thought is not my own, and Satan can work wonders inside a woman's mind. I had thoughts about myself, about my children that I knew were not truth. I had to rely on this verse so often, and when I did I would SPEAK truth out loud back to Satan.... and guess what, it worked!!! You are amazing, Abi!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading through your older posts and TOTALLY needed to read this today. Different situation for me...but I've been letting conversations stir in me and run through my head.

    ReplyDelete