Thursday, May 16, 2013

A Few Winner Recipes...You need these!

I've been on a kick to pull in some new recipes as of late. You may have had a different experience, but Pinterest has disappointed me a few times. Sometimes a recipe can garner a lot of buzz and so many of your friends are repinning it....You try it and discover that the picture just didn't live up to reality. Nor did the reviews! Case in point: Baked Chicken Fajitas. Ohhhhhh no Pinterest. You misleader! They were fine but only fine and who really wants fine? If I'm going to prepare food and put my time, energy and money into it - I want great!

Which leads me to two new recipes that I love more each time I make them. There's nothing too outside-of-the-box about them. One is a great tortilla soup recipe and the other is a baked lemon chicken recipe. Like I said - they verge more on the classic side of things but the flavor combinations are seriously yum in your tum!

First, Chicken Tortilla Soup by Food Network's Danny Boome.



THIS picture is pretty dang close to reality ladies! Here's what I love about it. It's a great broth-based tortilla soup instead of cream based. Saves a few cals but man alive the taste is great. It's not a difficult recipe but it's high impact. I added a LOT of cumin when the chicken went in, an extra can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and a can of corn at the very end. Bottom line - this soup is killler because of the big shot of fresh lime juice and ton of fresh chopped cilantro that goes in at the end. I will be making this for years to come!

Second, Pan Roasted Chicken with Lemon Garlic Green Beans from Real Simple.



Disclaimer: I DID find this one on Pinterest and it was worthy of all those repins! At first glance, this recipe sounded like so many other baked chicken recipes. The difference is the zippy lemon (lots of it) and heavy garlic. Soooo if you don't like either of those - I'd pass on this one! But if you do - you will be oh so very happy you gave this one a whirl. I stuck to the recipe as is and have zero complaints. It's one of those that's even better the next day. For me, very few things make me happier than a fresh taste on a chicken recipe. This one is healthy but right up the alley of comfort food goodness.

Anywho - I try a lot of different recipes. Most that I try are good but not great enough to become regulars, you know? These two are going to become signatures so I had to pass them on!

You know what I'm pondering next? Homemade yellow cake with chocolate frosting. I KNOW!!!!!!!! But the deal is that I truly can't have this in the house for more than one day so I'm on the hunt for the perfect group or occasion to make it for so that it will be eaten in one sitting. No taking leftovers home to 'freeze.' Girl - I've eaten frozen cake on more than one occasion. Ha! I'm confident the Lord will provide!

Until next time...
A

No comments:

Post a Comment